Communications: Laurie's Blog

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Euphemisms: an effective mode of communication?

Euphemisms play a large role in the social interactions of everyday life. We use them whenever we want to be subtle or polite. As stated by Norman Fairclough; “a text’s choice of wordings depends on, and helps create, social relationships between participants. […] words are likely to have such relational values simultaneously with other values” (Fairclough p 109). I believe that in some cases, the overuse of euphemisms could lead to confusion and miscommunication. Sometimes it is just better to come right out and say what is meant to be said, if the point is important to get across.

As seen in the following excerpt from the television show “Gilmore Girls” episode 208 “The Inns and Outs of Inns…”, the main character Lorelai and her friend are trying to politely ask an old woman what would happen to the property she owns if she dies. They speak only in euphemisms to express the idea of death, and the old woman does not understand what they are getting at. This is a situation where, although subtlety was attempted through euphemisms like “taking a long vacation”, the point was not being understood therefore this was not an effective way of communicating the idea.

Gilmore Girls Excerpt:

LORELAI: Fran, are you okay?
FRAN: Aw, it's this bum hip. It needs to be replaced, again. And I have this awful angina.
SOOKIE: Oh, we're so sorry to hear that.
FRAN: So, I know you didn't come here to listen to me gripe, so tell me what's on your mind.
LORELAI: Okay, well Fran, we understand that you own the old Dragonfly Bed and Breakfast, that whole property out there.
FRAN: Why, yes I do. It was my parents' business.
SOOKIE: It's a beautiful place.
FRAN: Oh, it used to be. But it's in such disarray now.
LORELAI: Yes it is, and that's kind of why we're here. We'd actually like to buy it.
FRAN: Buy the Dragonfly?
LORELAI: Yes, we'd like to buy it and make it beautiful again, and we're prepared to make you an offer right now.
FRAN: Oh my, well this is a surprise.
LORELAI: See, Sookie and I are gonna start our own inn and we've been searching for the perfect place.
FRAN: Your own inn?
LORELAI: Yeah.
FRAN: Oh how wonderful! You are going to be so successful.
SOOKIE: Thanks Sweetie.
LORELAI: That means so much, like we have your blessing.
FRAN: But I can't sell you the property.
SOOKIE: What?
LORELAI: How come?
FRAN: I just couldn't. You know, I have no siblings and no children and in a ways, that place is really the only family I have. I'm the last Weston left, so I plan to own it forever.
LORELAI: Forever?
FRAN: Forever and ever.
LORELAI: That's a very long time.
SOOKIE: A very long time.
FRAN: I'm so sorry.
LORELAI: Fran, may I ask. . . um. . .
FRAN: Go ahead honey, ask me anything you want.
LORELAI: Well, what happens to the place if you. . .well, if forever isn't quite forever?
FRAN: I don't understand dear. All I know is that I can't sell the place.
LORELAI: Oh no, I don't mean selling it. I mean, you would keep it forever, but what happens once you're no longer in the position of physically controlling the property?
FRAN: How could that be?
LORELAI: Uh, well, if you um, if you…
SOOKIE: Take a long vacation.
LORELAI: Yes, take a long vacation. Thank you.
SOOKIE: You're welcome.
LORELAI: And when you're on that long vacation, the property is just left sitting there. Well, what happens then?
FRAN: Oh, I don't enjoy vacations. I toured the California gold country ten years ago, it was hot and the bus smelled.
LORELAI: Okay, I mean a longer vacation than a trip to California.
SOOKIE: To a different place.
FRAN: What kind of place?
LORELAI: A place out there.
SOOKIE: Way out there Fran.
FRAN: Europe?
LORELAI: I mean the ultimate long vacation.
SOOKIE: Yeah, Francie, eventually, we're all gonna take the same long vacation.
LORELAI: And with that being the case, you might want to sell the property now and enjoy the money.
FRAN: I'm very sorry, but I can never sell the place.
LORELAI: Oh, well thanks for your time Fran.
SOOKIE: Yeah, thanks Fran.
FRAN: Bye now.
LORELAI: Bye.
SOOKIE: Bye.
FRAN: You both look so sad. Would you like a cupcake?



If the euphemisms are so subtle that the other party cannot comprehend what is being said it defeats the purpose. It is clearly not an effective substitute for the more vulgar language; therefore I believe it would be appropriate to say what was meant. In most cases, the euphemisms are equally offensive because they are essentially saying the same thing as the blunt or vulgar words. Through observing the example given above, it is determined that although euphemisms can improve the relational value of a text, they are not always an effective way of communicating ideas and should be used sparingly on a certain audience.

Work Cited

Fairclough, Norman. “Critical Discourse Analysis in Practice: Description.” Introduction to Communication. Ed. Alexandre Sévigny. Iowa, Dubuque: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, 2005. 109

Palladino, Daniel. “The Ins and Outs of Inns…”. Gilmore Girls. The WB, 20 Nov. 2001. found at <http://www.gilmoregirls.org/eguide/transcripts/episode208.html>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home